8.3 Million People In Ethiopia Need Urgent Relief Food Assistance



The 2019 humanitarian response plan for Ethiopia has been launched today in the presence of Commissioner Mitiku Kassa of the National Disaster Risk Management Commission, Mr. Aeneas Chuma, UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator.

The plan lays out prioritized humanitarian needs in 2019 across eight sectors, including food, nutrition, shelter and non-food items, water, sanitation and hygiene (WaSH), health, education, protection and agriculture.

The humanitarian situation in 2019 remained similar to 2018 mainly due to mass internal displacements in various parts of the country, and related humanitarian and protection needs.

Accordingly, at least 8.3 million people will require relief food/cash and non-food assistance during the year.

A total of $1.3 billion is required to address their food and non-food needs.

About 60% of the required fund will be covered by the government of Ethiopia and the remaining 40% will be secured from international and local donors.

According to Mitiku Kassa, Commissioner of the National Disaster Risk Management Commission, 46% of the IDPs are in Oromia, 22% in Somali, 12% in Amhara, 10% in SNNP, 4% each in Tigray and Afar regional states.

The remaining beneficiaries are in Gambela, Benishangul Gumuz, Harari and Dire Dawa, the Commissioner said.

Ethiopia was spared significant climate-related calamities last year, but spikes in conflict-induced displacements in 2018, which led to a near doubling of internally displaced population, contributed to high humanitarian response needs in 2019.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here