Addis Ababa – Ethiopian Airlines, Africa’s largest Airline Group, is happy to announce that it has registered record success in the just ended 2017/18 fiscal year. In line with its 15 year strategic roadmap, Vision 2025, the airline registered historical success in financial, commercial, operational and customer service areas.
During the 2017/18 fiscal year:
- Ethiopian introduced additional +14 new aircraft, more than one aircraft per month;
- The airline opened 8 new international destinations, namely Geneva (Switzerland), Chicago (USA), Bahrain, Kaduna (Nigeria), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Kisangani and Mbuji-Mayi (Democratic Republic of Congo) and Nosy-Be (Madagascar);
- The number of passengers carried grew by +21% topping the 10 million mark for the first time in the airline’s history and reaching 10.6 million passengers;
- Freight carried grew by +18% from previous fiscal year to attain 400,339 tons;
- Operating revenue grew by +43% from previous fiscal year to culminate at 89.1 billion Ethiopian birr (ETB);
- Net profit stood at 6.8 billion ETB.
During the fiscal year, the airline was given for the first time in its history a 4 Star rating by SKYTRAX, the leading customer service rating organization in the airline industry, putting it on par with other global airlines. SKYRAX also recognized Ethiopian as Best Airline in Africa; Best Business Class in Africa and Best Economy Class in Africa.
Ethiopian reached and passed the 100th aircraft in service milestone during the year, becoming the first African airline in history to do so.