In an emergency meeting held on February 7, the cabinet said that the differences should be resolved through dialogue. See the press release below here
Hargeisa, Somaliland. February 7, 2023 The Council of Ministers held an emergency meeting this afternoon at the Presidential Palace to assess the current situation in Las ‘Anod. The meeting was chaired by H.E. President Muse Bihi Abdi, accompanied by H.E. Vice President Abdirahman Abdillahi Ismail (Saylici).
Following a lengthy discussion, the Council of Ministers shared the following in that regard
1. The Council would like to reaffirm to the people of the Republic of Somaliland and the International Community that it stands for peace. As such, the government of Somaliland is prepared to resolve the situation in Las Anod through dialogue and consensus.
2. The Council has recommended immediate assistance to the people displaced by the crisis and urged international humanitarian agencies to play a significant role in aiding people.
3. The Council informs the people of the Republic of Somaliland and the international community that Somaliland is at war with international terrorist groups that have been planning on creating insecurity, and instability and carrying out teroist attacks in Las ‘Anod for some time.
4. The Council highlighted that the violence that began in Las ‘Anod is threatening the regional stability and security of the Horn of Africa and the world at large, therefore, the Somaliland government shows readiness in cooperating with the international community.
5. The Council calls on traditional elders, community leaders, scholars, businessmen, youth, and the women of Las ‘Anod, to safeguard the peace, security, and stability in the city and to partake in bringing peace to their city.
6. The Council commends the National Army of the Republic of Somaliland for preventing the attack that took place in the early morning.